I can see her now, in the
kitchen. A pair of blue slacks like the
sky on a clear day. A flowery blouse –
no sleeves – with a collar. The only
woman I can think of who wasn’t afraid to show her arms in her older
years. She was always proud of her
petite frame. We could have shared
clothes in my teenage years, had our styles aligned.
I must’ve
been about five that morning, maybe six.
No doubt still in my pjs, home-cut mullet still rumpled and ratty with
sleep. Morning breath probably thick in
my speech – we never brought toothbrush & toothpaste with us. Why would we?
We didn’t use them at home.
Grandma
never seemed to care, though. I close my
eyes and see her smiling at that ratty little girl, a big hug as she wished me
good morning. She was making
pancakes. She made the best pancakes –
light and fluffy, wonderfully golden brown.
As many as we could stand to eat.
With warm syrups and bacon and hot cocoa, too.
The best
part of pancakes with Grandma wasn’t the smell – melted butter and hot coffee, a
freshly baked cake to devour after our evening dinner. It wasn’t the pastoral setting – high on a
hill, miles of pasture around us, not another house in sight. It never occurred to me then that someone
must’ve come out to tend those fields.
Grandpa never did. I wonder about
that now, decades later.
No, the
best part of pancakes at Grandma’s was that Grandma could make pancakes in just
about any shape you could ask for.
Stars, crescent moons. My
brothers teased her, asking for basketballs or watermelons – obviously she
could do those. My request was always
the same, and she must’ve known what I’d ask for as sure as she knew the sun
would shine down its golden warmth or that Grandpa would catch the most fish
that afternoon.
Still,
after a tight, morning-breath-drenched, I-love-you-this-much hug, she asked me,
“What shape pancake do you want this morning?”
And her
eyes twinkled with delight as mine surely must have, too, when I answered, “A
bunny rabbit!” I’ve tried, in my
adulthood, to make bunny rabbit pancakes and they inevitably bear better
resemblance to watermelons and amoebas.
I did, however, surprise my girls with heart-shaped pancakes for
Valentine’s Day. And I enjoyed, as Grandma
must’ve, the amazed look on their faces, disbelief in their voices, “How did
you do that? How did you make these?” Christina was convinced someone had taught
me. And as she and her sister devoured
their holiday treats, I drifted back to that kitchen, the dining room with shag
carpeting, and I saw a lovely lady in pants blue like a robin’s egg, a flowered
sleeveless blouse, hot pink lipstick her only makeup. Hair freshly curled in tight, short
curls. Soft eyes smiling over a coffee
cup while her granddaughter devoured bunny rabbit pancakes and cocoa. In that moment, watching my girls live out a
moment of my history, I was intensely thankful that not all of my early
childhood memories are sad ones.
No comments:
Post a Comment